[FFmpeg-devel] FFv1.3: full GOP 1/300, 2-pass statistics for Derf's collection

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Dec 5 20:19:56 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:01:13AM +0100, Peter B. wrote:
> On 12/05/2012 06:12 AM, Loren Merritt wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Peter B. wrote:
> >
> >> It's very interesting to see that 2-pass with GOP=1 reaches almost the
> >> same compression ratio as single-pass with GOP=300. In some cases, it's
> >> even small than GOP=300 (marked red).
> > Of course. Each of your test videos is a single scene. The probability
> > tables don't need to change much from one frame to the next, because the
> > content doesn't change much.
> >
> > The same result *might* also hold for a whole movie, but your experiment
> > doesn't predict that one way or the other.
> >
> Well, I totally agree.
> I wanted to use different, longer material from our archive collection,
> but Michael suggested to use Derf's collection - and added:
>
> "I really dont understand what is so hard on simply downloading 10 files
> from a page and not messing with them before encoding. no other tools,
> no capture, no A/D nothing."
>
> So, I understood this as "use these official test videos".

Yes, i was trying to reduce the time the testing takes from months
to days or hours

also i wanted to have tests done with the same videos so theres some
comparability with the previous tests

and btw, thanks for running all the tests

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact