[FFmpeg-devel] [Patch] Prohibit Seeking on m3u8 files over http

Micah Galizia micahgalizia at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 00:51:17 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Jan Ehrhardt <phpdev at ehrhardt.nl> wrote:

> Micah Galizia in gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel (Sun, 30 Dec 2012
> 14:00:17 -0500):
> >I have encountered problems trying to play HLS streams on certain servers
> >due to the "Range: " request header field used in http.c. When the server
> >sees this field for m3u8 files it responds with a 403.
>
> You should not want to solve these problems at the client side. It is
> the server job to correctly handle such requests.

Its not my server. I don't own or have any affiliation with Fox Soccer2Go -
just want to watch the games! I thought this might be an acceptable
solution given the precedent set already in hls.c.

>Given that seeking doesn't really make sense for playlist files (...)
>
> Seeking makes perfect sense for on demand HLS streams. In fact the lack
> of support on the client side for seeking in HLS streams is one of the
> obstacles for the acceptance of HTML5 video. See
> http://www.longtailvideo.com/html5/hls/
>
> The linked m3u8-stream at that page is perfectly seekable. I checked
> that in the Wondershare player on my Android tablet:
> http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/samples/bipbop/gear1/prog_index.m3u8

So, regardless of how this _should_ work (and I agree, it`d be lovely if
the provider just worked) is there any chance of accepting any sort of
workaround to the problem or are you saying ffmpeg will never be able to
play those streams?

--
"The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for