[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg doesn't accept named pipes?

Ritu choudhary ritu.itzme at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 06:19:04 CET 2013

Hi all,
   I am trying to provide input as named pipe to ffmpeg(version 0.11.2) but
there seems some problem in pipe input in case of ffmpeg.
I am using the following command:

ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -i /dev/video0 -i record.ssa -scodec ass foo.mkv

here, record.ssa is a named pipe (mkfifo record.ssa) and some other
application is continuously writing to this named pipe.
ffmpeg hangs till the application is writing to the pipe and until the
application is not stopped ,ffmpeg doesn't resume.

Please, correct me if  I am wrong at the concept of pipes in ffmpeg but as
i read in the documentation, ffmpeg can accept input in form of pipes also.

Any suggestion , help will be useful.