[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Google Summer of Code 2013

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Mar 7 07:37:50 CET 2013

On 7 Mar 2013, at 01:01, Clément Bœsch <ubitux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 12:16:37AM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> [...]
>> - Subtitles (Clement Boesch)
>>

> About this one, any suggestion on specific tasks are very welcome.

A big task that might be too difficult is full support for closed captioning e.g. from ATSC broadcasts.
Problems include: data is stored inside video frames (need a way to extract it) and it needs to be reordered in the same way as the video frames itself.
Also the CC stuff has quite a few advanced features, so a decoder is non-trivial (writing a decoder for the CC streams from WTV allows skipping the how to extract/reorder issues sinc that's already done for that format).
Teletext is another feature we do not yet support, and should be a bit simpler.