[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] ffplay opengl branch

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Sun Mar 17 23:15:41 CET 2013

Hi,

In the past few weeks I've managed to extend the current ffplay code to
use openGL for displaying the video.

The ffplay opengl branch can be found in my github repository:
https://github.com/cus/ffplay.git

I tends to work quite well, but it's rather a proof of concept
implementation, and obviously there is room for improvement:

- audio visualizations are not supported in opengl mode at the moment
   (rework current SDL drawing code? Enforce 24/32bit SDL video mode to
   support both opengl and non-opnengl output? Change visualization to
   avfilter?)
- only YUV pixel format is supported (how to add more? how to reuse
   avfilter auto negotiation code?)
- fix compatibility with less common opengl implementations (this stuff
   can be so ugly, I hope one day sombody will put the knowledge in
   mplayer/vlc opengl drivers to a standalone library, and we just use
   that...)
- prepare the textures in the video decode thread and not in the main
   thread (this is tricky, SDL opengl support is not multi-thread capable,
   therefore if we want to do this, we can forget SDL opengl, and start to
   use the architecture specific stuff, wgl/glx/etc, ugly, and we would
   like to keep ffplay clean...)

As you can see, the TODOs raise some questions, moving on requries some
thinking, design, and quite a bit of time, the path is not clear. That is
why I think this may not be the best candidate for a SOC project.

Anyway, the code is out there now, I don't think I will have the
time to work on it in the coming weeks...

Regards,
Marton