[FFmpeg-devel] Hap codec

Malcolm Bechard malcolm.bechard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 17:57:42 CET 2013

Hey,
I'm interested in adding support for the new HAP codec to ffmpeg.
https://github.com/Vidvox/hap

It's DXT1/3/5 texture compression, with a optional CPU compression ontop of
that using the 'snappy' library
http://code.google.com/p/snappy/

Now what makes it a little different from other codecs is that I'd want the
option to keep the data in DXT1/3/5 format so I can upload it to the GPU
and let the decompression occur there (and never read back the result to
the CPU). Is the API setup for this type partial decode? What is the
preferred way to allow the API user to decide if they want the data back in
DXT1/3/5 compression or fully decompressed into RGB/RGBA? Is there a clean
way to pass back the data as DXT1/3/5 out of decode_video? It seems like
DXT1/3/5 could be a new PIX_FMT, but that doesn't seem particularly clean
since swscale wouldn't know what to do with it.

With regards to snappy, what is the preferred way to bring in this external
lib into ffmpeg? Should we require the API user to compile snappy as an
external dependency the way it is with zlib, or can the code be brought in
fully to make it easier to compile?

Thoughts?

Malcolm