[FFmpeg-devel] Stereo channel layout mapping

Robert Krüger krueger at lesspain.de
Thu Aug 7 16:52:43 CEST 2014

Hi,

could someone explain, what the difference between those two is and
when to use which one?

#define AV_CH_LAYOUT_STEREO            (AV_CH_FRONT_LEFT|AV_CH_FRONT_RIGHT)
#define AV_CH_LAYOUT_STEREO_DOWNMIX    (AV_CH_STEREO_LEFT|AV_CH_STEREO_RIGHT)

E.g. when I extract metadata and want to use that as a basis to
display the channel info to a user in a UI it is a bit surprising to
display "Front left" and "Front right" for the channels of a plain
stereo file. I can handle that case manually but it would be nice to
understand the rationale behind it.

Regards,

Robert