[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Alessio Treglia alessio at debian.org
Fri Aug 8 16:06:20 CEST 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Matthias Urlichs <matthias at urlichs.de> wrote:
> That leaves the question of the "official" opinion of the libav
> maintainers (pkg-multimedia-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org).
> Did none of them write anything in "defense" of libav, or have I simply
> missed it?
>
> IMHO the best idea at this point would be to toss out libav, and rebuild
> the rdeps with ffmpeg. Now, before it's too late for jessie.

This is an eminently bad idea. As I said before, it's too late for
Jessie already.

Many Jessie's multimedia framework and packages have been developed
and QA'd with libav.

We've spent a lot of time over the past months talking to upstreams,
forwarding them our patches and make sure their programs and libraries
work with libav.
We've spent ***months*** in making the whole thing work, and dropping
libav in favour of FFmpeg at this point, roughly few weeks from the
freeze deadline, would be definitely insane.

Cheers.

--
Alessio Treglia          | www.alessiotreglia.com
Debian Developer         |     alessio at debian.org
Ubuntu Core Developer    |  quadrispro at ubuntu.com
0416 0004 A827 6E40 BB98 90FB E8A4 8AE5 311D 765A