[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Fri Aug 8 13:13:29 CEST 2014

Hi,

Andreas Cadhalpun:
> Once FFmpeg is back in the archive, it'll be easy to reintroduce MPlayer. It
> has been removed from sid, since it fails to build against Libav, but it
> builds fine against FFmpeg.
> (It uses some of the features only provided by FFmpeg.)

Yet another reason why solely depending on libav is a bad idea.

That leaves the question of the "official" opinion of the libav
maintainers (pkg-multimedia-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org).
Did none of them write anything in "defense" of libav, or have I simply
missed it?

IMHO the best idea at this point would be to toss out libav, and rebuild
the rdeps with ffmpeg. Now, before it's too late for jessie.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs