[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Sat Aug 9 09:03:17 CEST 2014

Hi,

Jean-Yves Avenard:
> We have attempted for many years to get our changes merged in FFmpeg
> but gave up.

It might be a good idea to restart this effort.

> To end this message: I fail to see how debian's decision on which
> version of FFmpeg or LibAV would have any impact on MythTV, we use
> neither

Most forks cause additional work which, in the long term, is better spent
elsewhere. The ffmpeg/libav split is ample proof of that; in an ideal
world, you wouldn't need the mythtv fork either.

Debian's position is that we _really_ want to avoid having multiple copies
of essentially the same code in the archive; it's additional work for the
security team (if they even know about the copies), needlessly eats memory
when the two are in use simultaneously, and causes no end of trouble when a
plug-in is linked against copy A while the main code (or another plugin)
uses copy B (unless everybody is very careful WRT symbol versioning).

--
-- Matthias Urlichs