[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Aug 10 14:04:02 CEST 2014

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 01:38:06PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le tridi 23 thermidor, an CCXXII, wm4 a écrit :
> > You seem to be under the impression that this matters.
>
> That is the only thing that matters in FFmpeg: people work on what they
> consider important.
>
> > I don't want to have to develop for two slightly similar but
> > different APIs, the end. And I don't want anyone else having to do that
> > either.
> >
> > You're welcome to add a lavr API wrapper to swr, or to merge swr
> > features into lavr, or to convince Libav to pick up swr in favor of
> > lavr - just don't torture me with your API wars, OK?
>
> You demand a lot, but nobody has a duty to meet your demands.
>
> Yes, the situation with the two resampling libraries is bad for users, but
> it will only be resolved if someone who cares about it does the job. I do
> not. And as with the rest of FFmpeg, technical arguments will decide the
> course of the project. If you were to prove that lavr is superior to lswr,
> it would certainly be adopted.
>
> But nothing will happen if nobody steps in.

theres another aspect that was mentioned on IRC but i belive not the
ML.
swr is easy to maintain for us, we can change it in any way if we
need to.
avr is maintained by libav and if we need or want major changes thats
not nearly so easy.
also while there are some very loud advocates pushing for avr
none of them has volunteered to maintain avr or provide security
support for it.This makes the suggestion to use avr quite dishonest
IMO.

I definitively will not maintain avr, its just a fork of my swr code
and iam happy to merge improvments back into swr.
and while some may claim theres no such thing as the need for a
avr maintainer in ffmpeg. trying to build ffmpeg with avr and trying
the avr regression tests will show that it simply doesnt work that
way.

So i would suggest that we all work together and pull on the same
string in the same direction and work on swr.
That also includes all the libav developers, everyone of them is
welcome without exception to work on swr, if they feel its lacking
something that avr has, patches, pull requests or direct commits are
welcome!
If API users feel that swr is not similar enough to avr, some
API wraper to provide the avr API from a swr implemetation is welcome

In fact, the RIAA has been known to suggest that students drop out
of college or go to community college in order to be able to afford
settlements. -- The RIAA