[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Aug 17 10:28:17 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 01:19:38AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Stefano Sabatini wrote:
[...]
> The list is quite long and debunking each of the statements could take a
> lot of time.
>
> I'm going to address two historical "misrepresentations":
>

> # The change of management
>
> Michael Niedermayer managed to get demoted from his leader position by
> the topmost 18[1] people involved in FFmpeg by the time due his tendency
> of not following the rules. that after weeks from being voted to stay as
> leader by 15, 5 explicitly stating their vote was conditioned by his
> behaviour and 1 definitely against him.[2]

There was a vote on the ffmpeg-devel list, everyone can recount the
votes although its probably a bit work to do given its a large thread
with lots of other discussions (the links below point to that thread)
I dont remember the exact numbers but there was a majority in
support of me in all possible variants in which one could count the
votes

That said, i dont mind if people like to see me as dictator

> His demotion is due to acts in full disregard of the policies in place,

Ive asked [1][2] back then what "policy in place" was broken
IIRC noone pointed at anything thats part of the written policy[3]
Some good suggestions where made in the discussion though.
And the policy was somewhat amended toward them [4].

In retrospect, bigger changes should have been made to the policy
if that had avoided the takeover attempt and fork, but the takeover
attempt came a bit out of the blue, at least for me and it definitely
left the feeling that there was more interrest in seizing the
opertunity for a takeover instead of discussing and amending the
policy.
Also i remember alot more discussions about whitespaces than patch
review policy from that time.

> even those enforced automatically by the svn hooks.

yes, we wanted to check in some files that would be shared between
mplayer and ffmpeg, and for ease of syncing changes between them
either tabs&trailing whitespace had to be removed from mplayers side
or the svn hook in ffmpeg would have needed an exception
They where removed from mplayer in SVN rev 32789 and 32790

The commit message of 32789
"Convert some tabs to whitespace to allow using MPlayer filter sourcecode in FFmpeg."

[...]

> > you shouldn't be surprised that there was (and still there is) a
> > perceived hostility between the two projects. If you or other Libav or
> > FFmpeg developers want the two projects to collaborate more, this can
> > be discussed, possibly with *specific* proposals, but again,
> > debian-devel is not the right place where to discuss such things.
>

> Personally I have no problems in collaborating with anybody.

Then i think we should reunite the projects with some common
development policy most are happy with.

PS: please spare the world of these defamation attempts
and i also think we should look forward and solve the issues we have
now and not fight over what happenend 3-4 years ago or who made more
mistakes ...

[...]

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/118606
[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/118652
[3] http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=blob;f=doc/developer.texi;hb=f2c44ad51160da4c0c27429e874265c0dff3d117#l122
[4] http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=commitdiff;h=7c0460496b5eeb1713f00c00e2e61b420bb928e7

Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony.
-- Heraclitus