[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Aug 18 08:20:46 CEST 2014

On 08/16/2014 11:44 PM, wm4 wrote:
>> This reasoning may work when you have only a small amount of information
>> to read. When you are overwhelmed with it, having different places to do
>> different things is a much better approach. Sending patches to a list
>> simply doesn't scale.
>>
>> Also, with a list, it's not convenient at all to point out a line in a
>> patch in a mailing list. You must extract the relevant lines, cut/past
>> them, and comment them. Instead, double clicking on the line of the
>> patch which is displayed on a web interface is much more convenient.
>
> What? Most patches are posted inline (with git-send-email).

Even worse then! It makes it hard to copy to your local fs.

Anyway, have a look here, if you want to see how the review process works:
https://review.openstack.org/

click on any patch proposal, and see how nice the interaction is (see
patch comments, the result of jenkins unit tests, etc.). This helps a
lot with QA, for sure.

>>> There's nothing wrong with having discussion in those various areas, of
>>> course; it's probably inevitable, and it's even a good thing. It's just
>>> that it's a lot harder for someone not intimately involved with the
>>> project to follow discussion if it happens in such a variety of places,
>>> and there's value to be found in making sure that everything passes
>>> through one central (discussion-enabled) point before landing.
>>
>> Lists are good tools for discussing where a project should go, release
>> goals, and so on. They aren't good tools to do patch reviews. I've used
>> both, and I'm convinced of that.
>
> What we need is solving the FFmpeg/Libav split, not "well-meant"
> suggestions by outsiders how to change our development model.

The problem, as much as I understand it, was the review process and
enforcing policies. So it's natural to give advice on that, with a tool
which will make sure that policies are enforced. If you don't want
advices, and want to have a private discussion, then why writing to
debian-devel at l.d.o?

Thomas