[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Bug bounties

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Aug 28 01:33:33 CEST 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 03:00:45PM -0700, Alex Sukhanov wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:16:12PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I was thinking about if we should put an
> > > automatic 50 USD bounty on every bug thats open since more than
> > > 12 month on trac, and limited to the first 20 claims so its limited
> > > to 1000 USD max expenses for us (for now)
> > > (also limited to real unique bugs of course)
> >
> > What about the votes instead of time?
> >
> > https://trac.ffmpeg.org/report/11
> >
> > The old bugs might not be relevant in a lot of cases. Typically a single
> > user having an issue hardly reproducible, and so old he doesn't even care
> > about anymore. The votes on the other hand reflect the public demand.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > --
> > Clément B.

> Hi,
>
> In my opinion money is not a good motivator for people who work on open
> source projects.

Do you have experience with things like that, did you study its
effects ?

At least as far as iam concerned, it certainly would
motivate me to get _some_ payment for what i do 7 days a week
and surely the 0$ for FFmpeg (not counting the occasional consulting
stuff) is not going to work out forever for me
though thats drifting a bit off topic ...

> This idea is clearly described in book of Daniel Pink "Drive"
> <http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Surprising-Truth-About-Motivates/dp/1594484805/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409176363&sr=8-1&keywords=drive+-+daniel+pink>.

It costs USD not karma or bugs

> In long term paying money for old bugs kills motivation, because people
> start to consider these tasks as boring.

> Instead I would suggest to think how we can show that these bugs are
> important and how fixing these bugs would help people (FFmpeg users).

If you have ideas that will motivate people to fix (old) bugs, please
by all means go ahead with them.

> Clément Bœsch gave an excellent idea to vote for bugs, so developers can
> see how it's important and focus on things which really matter.

trac supports votes since a while, iam not sure that really affected
how people treat bugs ...

> Also having some status or list of most active contributors on FFmpeg
> website would be great. I mean status which is calculated automatically
> using bug fixing stats.

Is there some trac plugin that can do that ?
can you write such plugin or setup a script or other to do that?

Thanks

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates