[FFmpeg-devel] Cyrillic devices name support in libavdevice/dshow

Ivan Uskov ivan.uskov at nablet.com
Wed Dec 16 22:10:42 CET 2015

Hello All,

IU> Hello Derek,

IU> Wednesday, December 16, 2015, 8:24:33 PM, you wrote:

DB>> On 12/16/2015 4:29 PM, Roger Pack wrote:
>>> Still mulling over why this would be needed...hm....

DB>> It makes sense that CP_OEMCP is needed for device names, in my mind,
DB>> after reading https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/108450 - however,
DB>> I don't think changing the generic functions in cmdutils.c is correct
DB>> here.
IU> The actual implementation of these functions for Windows platform looks buggy.
IU> Are  will work right only for ASCII characters subset.
IU> It is hard to imagine what the reason was to use CP_UTF8 in windows-related code.
IU> Windows   never  use UTF8 in command line and in other places here only 8 bit
IU> OEM  code  pages  or 16 bit unicode are possible.
IU> So using CP_OEMCP looks much more appropriate and correct.

IU> But  suggested patch looks incomplete, it is quite strange when dup_wchar_to_utf8()
IU> function   internally  performs   an   action  which  does not match with the
IU> function name. :-)
IU> So dup_wchar_to_utf8() should be also renamed to dup_wchar_to_oem() for example.
After some more deep thinking I should to take all my words back. :-)
Using OEMCP in suggested patch will break uncode files processing. So it is necessary to
resolve the issue  from  an opposite  end: it is necessary to convert device name to
UTF8 and do no touch existing functions.

--
Best regards,
 Ivan                            mailto:ivan.uskov at nablet.com