[FFmpeg-devel] phasing out asyntcs, resample

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Mon Dec 21 23:32:31 CET 2015

Hi,

While hunting through configure for some easy to remove filter
dependencies, I came across asyncts which depends on avresample. So I
started some work to port it over to swresample, and get rid of this
unnecessary dependency.

But then I saw the docs:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#asyncts which effectively
claims that aresample subsumes it. What I don't understand is the
following:

1. swresample dates to 2012, and was utilized for aresample around
then. If aresample indeed subsumes asyncts, why not mark asyncts
deprecated, issue a warning telling users to switch to aresample, and
phase it out after some time. If it is indeed obsolete, it is useless
maintainence burden (with even some recent activity that is wasted
energy).
2. The craziness of having 3 filters for essentially the same task:
aresample, resample, asyncts. Seems like resample is the avresample
equivalent of the swresample based aresample. Same remark above
applies to resample.

This is a request for resolution on this topic.

Regards,
Ganesh