[FFmpeg-devel] Question about supported_fps in libavutil/timecode.c::check_fps

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jan 25 12:06:33 CET 2015

On 24.01.2015, at 21:09, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 18:37:01 +0000
> Derek Buitenhuis <derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/24/2015 4:33 PM, wm4 wrote:
>>> Which ones? We even expect C99 support from the compiler.
>>
>> Doesn't matter. It's the project's policy to have decls at
>> block beginnings. Yes some of us think it's better.
>>
>> We know you don't. Don't start an ideological troll war.
>
> Having dumb policies is fine, but then don't use broken compilers as
> excuse. Just say it's your policy to do it this way, even if there's no
> technical necessity.

Maybe not really relevant, but since I wrote it... Skip it unless you have time to waste ;)
I guess it's an old habit from when we still used to support gcc 2.95 :)
Which btw last I tried some months ago still worked except for very few cases.
Thing is, we require not that much of C99 and most is header or preprocessor-related or used very, very rarely.
And while I don't know where they come from, every now and then I hear about someone asking for C89 support for some product (possibly custom in-house compilers for strange architectures/OS? Symbian maybe still hiding in some hole?).
But with even tinycc supporting it I guess it's reasonable to say that any "technical" reasons that might exist are more related to someone's laziness than a real technical reason.
That said, I still prefer it even though I write C++ every day. Maybe it's just an old habit and secretly longing back to writing PASCAL as in my childhood days ;)