[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg/MPlayer/rtmpdump possibly searching for a new server and hosting

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Jul 17 16:16:53 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 03:30:26PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On 15 Jul, Michael Niedermayer wrote :
> > longer awnser,
> > videolan IIUC would be willing to host some of our services
> > on their existing server but this would require a "quite a bit" of
> > work. videolan uses LXC we do not.
>
> Indeed, and there is a good reason for that, called security.
>
> > also videolan of course would have to agree to everything, its their
> > server of course ...
>
> VideoLAN has very powerfull machines, connected in a correct datacenter,
> with a contract, that will outlive any single member.
>

> Don't take it bad, but seeing the discussions, and the way you manage
> your roots and services migration, you don't seem to care that much
> about being correctly deployed, but to do it fast.

iam not taking it bad but when you are being told your boxes could be
shutdown without prior notice by the new managment, then yes you try
to move fast, which is what we did.
Not because thats a great thing to do but because it was needed

also iam not doing the work by choice but because noone else
volunteered, i would very much prefer if someone who actually has
experience with this kind of thing to do the work.
And that i could concentrate on FFmpeg work instead of admin work

> LXC provides service separation and avoid security issues to propagate,
> and allows also reuse of VideoLAN infrastructure, if needed (SMTP, same
> Web proxy, etc...). It allows VLC and non-VLC services to not conflict,
> and allows people to have only access to one LXC.
>

> I understand that you do not care about such security, but we do.

i think you misunderstand, i do want to move to full virtualization
for security and for easier migration of services between servers
and had mentioned this previously

but as with everything in a volunteer project "want" alone does not
make things happen.

In that sense if someone wants to work on moving some of our services
to full virtualization like qemu/kvm or even just LXC, please mail
root for this to be discussed or if theres more of a general
discussion like LXC vs qemu/kvm then of course the public ffmpeg-devel
list

The real ebay dictionary, page 2
"100% positive feedback" - "All either got their money back or didnt complain"
"Best seller ever, very honest" - "Seller refunded buyer after failed scam"