[FFmpeg-devel] Escaping hell (was: lavu/opt: enhance printing durations)

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Mon Oct 26 23:38:45 CET 2015

Le quintidi 5 brumaire, an CCXXIV, Clement Boesch a écrit :
> Oh. Wasn't "testsrc=d='2:00'" supposed to work, just like comma & friends
> in eval inside filters options?

Probably, in this case, because there is a single level, but not inside
drawtext for example, because the quotes would need escaping too. This is
exactly what escaping hell is: each level of parsing requires one level of
escaping, meaning an exponential number of backslashes. That means the user
need to know exactly how the parsing is done to guess the necessary number
of backslashes or quotes.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George

(Out of curiosity, to people using common MUAs (Thunderbird, phone apps) or
webmails (gmail, yahoo), is this mail correctly connected to Clément's
response? The correct headers are present, that is what should matter, I
changed the subject, adding the standard "was:" indication, but I removed
the tags and the final punctuation in the was clause. I wonder if that will
make bad MUAs think this is a different thread.)