[FFmpeg-devel] Opinons on adding "tickets fixed" to the Changelog

Gwenole Beauchesne gb.devel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 09:49:07 CEST 2015

Hi,

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that glibc lists all the tickets/bug reports fixed in the
> Changelog, and was wondering whether it would be beneficial if ffmpeg
> did the same for its releases.
>
> The benefit I see is that this is a "user-facing" change and thus
> ideally should be documented in the relase notes.
>
> The drawback I see is that this is an additional burden on the people
> in charge of the release, and technically one can examine the git logs
> to get the list of tickets fixed. On the other hand, such log
> examination can be troublesome for some users, and many might just
> obtain the snapshot lacking such history.
>
> I myself have no opinions on this.

I think, at the minimum, simply an URL to the ticket fixed in the git
commit log is enough. As to the ChangeLog or NEWS file, this is boring
by experience unless you generate that from the git log and the
summary was properly written already. :) And, anyway, to the end-user,
this doesn't really bring in much information. For him, I'd believe
"add XXX codec", or "fix/improve codec YYY" is just enough
information, IMHO.

I'd say, it depends on the amount of tickets fixed per release. I
don't think users are much interested in reading through 50+ ticket
numbers.

Regards,
--
Gwenole Beauchesne
Intel Corporation SAS / 2 rue de Paris, 92196 Meudon Cedex, France