[FFmpeg-devel] IRC meeting on Saturday 2015-09-12, UTC 15:00

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Fri Sep 11 05:37:27 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 5:37 AM, Stefano Sabatini <stefasab at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I propose to have an official IRC meeting on the next Saturday, and I
> propose the tentative time of 15:00 UTC, but feel free to propose a
> different time if this can't suit you.
>
> The IRC meeting channel will be public and the log will be published
> at the end of the meeting.
>
> This meeting is also meant as a preparation for the real-life meeting
> that will be held in Paris at the next VDD
> (http://www.videolan.org/videolan/events/vdd15/) for the FFmpeg
> developers who will attend it.
>
> I propose these topics of the day (suggested by ubitux on IRC):
> 1. ABI compatibility policy
> 2. general policy decision process
> 3. VDD15
> 4. Any other business
>
> Feel free to suggest other topics.

A less important issue; but I think a clear stance on use of
Github/Gitorious and their pull request development model would be
useful. I think it is clear that in general many people here do not
like it, and repeated comments on the FFmpeg Github page discourage
it. However, a user checking out README.md (which is the document
people see on Github) does not have an explicit note on this; and
instead only a hyperlink to the documentation which again lacks full
clarity on this point. My own proposed solution is an added line to
README.md clearly stating that FFmpeg does not do pull requests from
Github, and instead that we use the mailing list. This will hopefully
reduce the number of pull requests on Github; thus avoiding
fragmentation of development discussion.