[FFmpeg-devel] policy on "necro-bumping" patches

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Tue Sep 15 20:00:27 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:47:35PM -0400, Ganesh Ajjanagadde wrote:

>> > there where a few patches, iam not exactly sure which are left and
>> > what effects they have
>> > What i objected to and still object to is to cause the terminal to
>> > be messed up in the most common default configuration in linux
>> > (that is with bash) when ffmpeg crashes (either in a naturally/naively
>> > written script or from the command line)
>> > Iam not sure th last patches still cause this or not
>>
>> Don't know what you exactly mean by a naturally/naively written
>> script, and an example would be very helpful. I can say for certainty
>
> naturally written == a script that does not contain a explicit
> workaround for this issue
> One would only add a workaround once one has been hit by a bug or knows
> about it and searched and found a workaround.
> The users time and convenience matters, we should not inconveience
> many people by this.
>

>> that fate and its associated scripts will not suffer from this issue,
>> simply because of the -nostdin flag that was added in one of the
>> patches (which has been applied). The question that remains is whether
>> to apply: https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2015-July/176481.html
>> or not.
>>

>> The point Nicolas raised is that no matter what we do, there exist
>> quite reasonable ffmpeg invocations that can mess up the terminal
>> (patch or no patch).
>
> this is true, but reasonable is not the same as "used alot in practice"
> something can be reasonable and used alot or it can be reasonable and
> used very rarely
>

>> All the patch does is remove a heuristic that
>> does not even work in all cases (which is impossible unless shell
>> configuration is changed with just 1-2 lines). It also improves
>> usability by fixing #2964.
>
> no heuristic works in all cases, thats the nature of heuristics
> for example our file format probing is all heuristics, not every
> file starting with "RIFFAVI" is a avi file  ...
>
> if the heuristic doesnt work well enough, then it should be improved
> if that is possible
>
> if the bug is belived to be else where (shell, config whatever)
> it should be fixed there so that future default setups do not need
> this heuristic anymore
> The heuristic should be kept as long as the alternative inconveiences
> more people
> I assume that the heuristic inconveiences fewer than the alternative
> of nothing. Is there a reason to belive that this is not the case ?

Well, assuming the issue of Ticket 2964 is not regarded as terribly
incovenient...
If you consider a 1-2 line addition to bashrc or zshrc as incovenient
for a user (which we can document in wiki/faq, or wherever you want),
and you feel the inconvenience of the issue of 2964 is less than that
of some messed up terminals (non fate scripts), then yes, I agree with
you. I am not convinced by this myself, so I think we should see what
others think about this (I think a formal poll is ridiculous for
something this tiny). If someone else agrees with you on this, or the
above essentially fundamental tradeoff is not acceptable to you, I
will drop the patch.