[FFmpeg-devel] some thoughts on the website and warnings

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Wed Sep 23 03:22:04 CEST 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 4:03 PM, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 15:35:06 -0400
> Calvin Walton <calvin.walton at kepstin.ca> wrote:
>
>> Please never enable "-Werror" by default in a release version of a
>> package - where that's defined as whatever version you recommend
>> arbitrary users pick up.
>
> +1, and please not for development versions either.

One thought I have at the moment is adding a new configure flag for
-Werror active only for whitelisted configurations. Existing packagers
won't be affected (unless they go and explicitly enable it), while we
can set up fate clients that exercise such an option. That way, any
developer can check out fate.ffmpeg.org to see if they have introduced
any new (hopefully useful due to the whitelist it should be useful).
If people find them too noisy and find it slowing down development, we
can treat them as a "different level of error" and color code it
differently on the fate website.

Anyway, this is looking too far ahead since we are not at such a stage
on any platform at the moment. Detailed discussion right now is
perhaps not productive.