[FFmpeg-devel] Support master branch of OpenJPEG and Grok J2K codecs

Tobias Rapp t.rapp at noa-archive.com
Wed Apr 6 11:09:09 CEST 2016

On 05.04.2016 12:12, Kieran Kunhya wrote:

>> Yes. Well, AGPL extends the definition of distribution to include use over
>> the network.
>

> Would we need then to send a copy of the AGPL to every viewer of our
> channels?
> How do we even know who they are when it's a terrestrial (OTA) broadcast?
> Should we just send one to every citizen on earth just in case?

+1

Also its not clear to me how the term "use over the network" would apply
in this case. What about:

a) FFmpeg+Grok application encoding data live and streaming it to the
user's computer

b) FFmpeg+Grok application encoding data onto the local disk, some other
application (web server) streaming it to the user's computer

c) FFmpeg+Grok application encoding data onto some storage server, some
other application transferring it to the user's computer
hours/days/years after the encoding

I assume that you (Aaron) want make sure that the possibly modified
source is available in scenario (a) and maybe also in scenario (b). But
obviously scenario (c) would be a nightmare (backtracking the source
version which was used to create a specific file). The problem is that
the AGPL doesn't draw a good line between the scenarios.

Regards,
Tobias