[FFmpeg-devel] Compiling issue with x265 with ffmpeg

Akshat Singh akshatsingh99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 21:53:07 CEST 2016

I use this guide to compile ffmpeg and other libraries but I have come to
learn that for x265 to support 10 bit encoding it has to manually specified
during the time of its compilation and from the information I could look up
I found that I had to add another command to cmake while compiling which
was "-HIGH_BIT_DEPTH:bool=on" and I used it as "sudo apt-get install cmake
mercurial
cd ~/ffmpeg_sources
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265
cd ~/ffmpeg_sources/x265/build/linux
PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH" cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="$HOME/ffmpeg_build" -DENABLE_SHARED:bool=off
-HIGH_BIT_DEPTH:bool=on ../../source
make
make install
make distclean"

but even after doing so there is no change in x265 support for 10 bit while
the 'ffmpeg-10bit' static build from zeranoe supports 10 bit commands just
fine but since they don't have libraries like fdk_aac I don't want to use
static builds.