[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC v4] libbavcodec: add a native decoder for the Daala video codec

Rostislav Pehlivanov atomnuker at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 00:40:30 CET 2016

The reason why the FFmpeg license was added as well was to keep FATE happy
and not have to put an exception for it (since all the exceptions are just
for empty template files). The way I understand it is that the license
above is the license for the file and all the code within it, while the
license below is the FFmpeg project license alone. Not a dual license.
Anyone wishing to use the decoder outside FFmpeg is free to do so under the
BSD 2 clause license while anyone wishing to use it as it is in FFmpeg
would still need to respect the LGPL.
At least that's my understanding of how the AAC Fixed point contributions
are licensed. In case this is really what happens (and I am not a lawyer)
then we could prevent the confusion from happening by putting a comment
above the FFmpeg license which says that the license below is void in case
the decoder is used outside FFmpeg.