[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC v4] libbavcodec: add a native decoder for the Daala video codec

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Jan 2 01:41:00 CET 2016

Rostislav Pehlivanov <atomnuker <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Fair enough, I will leave only the BSD-2 clause license
> and I'll put the files as an exception when I send the
> decoder as another RFC.

This would be fine but please see below: If you prefer
the LGPL, please use it!

> Ronald has agreed to review the decoder (on a technical
> side of things) if he has time this weekend so I'll wait
> for him to try to finish his review.

Sounds great to me!

> In any case, can you check out ./libavcodec/mips/aac* ?
> They have both the BSD license and the FFmpeg license at
> the top, which is what I did. If that's not valid then
> we should probably consider doing something about that.

You are right that there is something (imo very) wrong;-(

> >but as said please choose one license and use (only)
> >the one you choose for the newly added files.
>
> I would have used the LGPL license but unfortunately
> since there are no specifications and only a reference
> decoder I had to reuse parts of it (DCT and PVQ parts
> of the code) and although you can argue that really
> there is no other way to actually write a decoder the
> BSD license states that whatever happens to the code
> the license needs to stay.

To the very best of my knowledge you are allowed
to relicense code that was published under a two-
(or three-) clause BSD license under the GPL (and
the LGPL) as long as you keep the copyright
notice.

Carl Eugen