[FFmpeg-devel] 2.9/3.0, 2.8.5, ...

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 17:12:14 CET 2016

On 1/2/2016 8:42 AM, Andreas Cadhalpun wrote:
> On 01.01.2016 15:19, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> Its a while since 2.8 so unless there are objections i will make a
>> 2.9 or if people prefer a 3.0 within the next month or so
>
> I think using 3.0 would better due to the backwards incompatible
> API changes.
>
> We should do this always to give the major version a defined meaning.
> That way we would use semantic versioning[1].

We didn't for 2.4, which also had a project wide major bump. And really,
those who care about ABI breaks (distros) and library versions (distros
and API users) don't care about the arbitrary version of the ffmpeg
package as a whole.

Some time ago it was argued that the ffmpeg version should for example
get a major bump when some considerable changes were made to the CLI
tools. Users that download ffmpeg and don't care about the libraries
look at that version, and they are the ones affected by all and any
changes made to command line options for those tools.

Personally I'd call this one 2.9, and then the next can be 3.0 instead
of 2.10.