[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion related to the use of a global thread pool rather than the current threading model

wm4 nfxjfg at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 8 10:51:39 CET 2016

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 09:42:52 +0000 (UTC)
Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> wm4 <nfxjfg <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 17:55:38 +1100
> > Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > One of the issues we've faced was with our reftest
> > > tests, with pages creating hundreds of small video
> > > elements (the test change orientation, sizes,
> > > transparency and the like and check that there's
> > > no regression on how things are displayed).
> >
> > Do I understand right that only your tests do this?
>
> I may have misunderstood myself but I believe the
> issue actually only happens on Windows XP;-)

I suppose the larger memory usage would be considered a problem too,
and also can hit 32 bit boundaries even on non-XP.

Anyway, as another point I would argue:
- discouraging web devs from creating too many video elements, and
  introducing a static "reasonable" limit (maybe a dozen elements)
- not using MT for very small video (MT would probably make it slower
  anyway)