[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion related to the use of a global thread pool rather than the current threading model

Kieran Kunhya kierank at obe.tv
Fri Jan 8 13:51:57 CET 2016

On 8 January 2016 at 12:43, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 23:28:20 +1100
> Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8 January 2016 at 23:24, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > A global thread pool sounds like an extremely messy and unclean
>> > solution. The state of a library is not supposed to affect anything
>> > else in the same process.
>>
>> The point of my message was to start a discussion, not to receive
>> immediate answer ridiculing the idea and I have to say by someone who

I think the idea of a threadpool is a good idea - we have usecases
where we want to make a videowall of HD material with like 30 HD
sources that need to all be deinterlaced then scaled etc.

But it shouldn't be a global threadpool - it should be a generic
threadpool that could even be used by non-FFmpeg tasks. Presumably you
would attach it to a decoder and the decoder would use it (very
handwavy I know).

Kieran