[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Ban Carl Eugen Hoyos

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 10:23:47 CEST 2016

On 6/13/16, Ivan Kalvachev <ikalvachev at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/13/16, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't remember such thing to have been requested on the IRC meeting.
>>> Would you kindly quote the relevant parts of the logs?
>>
>> It was requested to act because of Carl misbehaviour.
>> Logs are available on net.
>
> I was on the meeting and I checked the published logs
> before sending my first mail.
> That's why I requested that you QUOTE the relevant part.
>
> Let me be blunt. Nobody have requested Carl to be banned,
> and definitely not from ML, trac, IRC for 4 months.
>
> Feel free to prove me wrong, by providing the quotes I requested.

Nobody requested explicitly that they want to ban Carl for 4 months,
but they all want that his behaviour is punished.

>>> Also, I would like to know on what grounds and
>>> on what charges you request that punishment.
>>
>> On grounds that he was badmouthing others.
>
> That's way too vague...
>
> 1. I'd like to see links and quotes of him doing the things you accuse him
> of.

It was all private. The last one about Derek, which was public, is just top of
iceberg.

> 2. I'd like to know why we have to ban him for 4 months exactly? Why
> ban him from ML, IRC, Trac, but not git?

Then we will ban him from git too.

> How did you determined that this punishment is the one that is most
> fitting the crimes he has done?

By careful examination.

> I can give you a lot of repeated incidents where people have badmouthed
> Carl.
> Should we ban them all in a similar way? Months and years after the fact?

They were not first to do that, they got provoked.

> Also, If we are going to punish somebody, there should be a due
> process before that.
> Witch hunts are nasty things.
>
>> Many devs requested punishment.
> Did they?

Yes, on IRC meeting many requested something about him to be done.

> Many people wanted breaking CoC to have consequences.
> But I do not remember anybody requesting Carl to be banned for 4 months.

4 months is very realistic, symbolic amount would not be good for project.

> Feel free to prove me wrong, with quotes.

If you want quotes, ask Carl to give you all his private emails.