[FFmpeg-devel] bans

Felt, Patrick Patrick.Felt at echostar.com
Wed Jun 15 17:52:18 CEST 2016

On 6/15/16, 7:50 AM, "ffmpeg-devel on behalf of James Almer" <ffmpeg-devel-bounces at ffmpeg.org on behalf of jamrial at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 6/15/2016 10:14 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> After writing this mail i will
>>
>> 1. ban carl for 24h from the ML due to
>> causing  derek to leave the project. (24h was suggested in the IRC
>> meeting)
>
>This is useless IMO. While four months is too much, 24 hours is
>insignificant.

Might I throw in an exponential backoff algorithm?  Perhaps every incident incurs a 24 hour ban with a one month half-life or some such thing.  Once a person passes above a 24h ban they are actually banned for some time.  It’s worked for BGP for a lot of years.

>> 2. ban derek for ~24h from the ML
>>
>> 3. ban myself for ~24h from the ML

>And this is silly. It's old history and nobody requested such action in
>any what whatsoever. It will only derail the discussion and again, bans
>without discussion or vote are a big no.

I also think all the current bans are silly.  Retroactively applying rules that were voted on today to issues that happened in the past, for any value of past, is not something that I think is appropriate.  What’s happened on all fronts is a horrible shame, but it seems that a consistent set of rules going forward and water under the bridge presently is a better way to go of it.  Don’t we all have better things to do that squabble over this?  I see a lot of amazing stuff coming in patches.