[FFmpeg-devel] why ffmpeg doesn't support vp9 svc?

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:09:22 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 4:45 AM, qw <applemax82 at 163.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have one question about vp9. vp9 supports svc encoding/decoding. Why
> ffmpeg doesn't support vp9 svc?

FFmpeg (both through libvpx as well as through ffvp9) does support scalable
decoding (that is: decoding of frames using references of different
dimensions). It doesn't support multiple layers, because we don't have an
API for that. We don't have an API because nobody wrote it yet.

As for encoding, the answer is pretty much identical.

If you have a use for it, implement it and send a patch.

Ronald