[FFmpeg-devel] [FFmpeg-cvslog] Merge commit '2758cdedfb7ac61f8b5e4861f99218b6fd43491d'

Derek Buitenhuis derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com
Thu May 5 02:45:55 CEST 2016

On 5/5/2016 1:26 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> It was possible to write and register external protocols, codecs,
> (de)muxers,... in the distant past.

Was there even a such thing as a public API at the time? ;)

> i always liked to allow and support "Plugins" / externally registering
> stuff, but my oppinion on that is the minority AFAIK
>
> to me having all the stuff in internal APIs feels a bit like "lock-in"
> used by evil non free sw companies.

In fact I even argued in favour of adding such functionality to libavfilter,
in the past.

I am not at all opposed to the idea. I just don't think the current way
of using internal headers, structs, and APIS (and a wrapper main()) should
at all be encouraged. If someone were to send patches to *properly* add
such functionality, with a stable plugin API/ABI, and such, I would not
oppose. I do not think this is trivial to do, however.

Anyway, exposing the internal URL structs and headers is definitely not the correct
way, IMO, and should not be done, especially since the functionality is already
possible with AVIO.

- Derek