[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Reviewing merges

Aaron Levinson alevinsn at aracnet.com
Mon Apr 24 06:50:38 EEST 2017

On 4/23/2017 7:07 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Should changes ported from libav (what we call merges) be reviewed
> before being pushed?

I've asked about this on IRC (#ffmpeg-devel).  The overall consensus
there, at least at the time I asked it, is there is an expectation that
such changes have already been properly reviewed for libav, so they are
likely to be okay for ffmpeg, and while some issues have crept into
ffmpeg as a result of these merges, the merge process has gone smoothly
overall.

As the code bases diverge more and more, reviewing ports from libav
would be nice, but based on the rate at which patches posted to
ffmpeg-devel are reviewed, I think that could overload the code review
resources on ffmpeg-devel.  Plus, the expertise may not exist to
properly review some of the ported changes on ffmpeg-devel.  For
example, I submitted a patch to fix a bug with QuickSync interlaced
video to ffmpeg-devel on 4/13/2017.  The change mostly reverted some of
the QSV code in ffmpeg back to an earlier state.  Interlaced video QSV
encoding used to work in ffmpeg, but this was broken in October 2016 as
a result of a merge with libav.  However, I was asked to submit the
patch to libav instead because QSV development is more active on
libav-devel.  I did that, and the patch finally made it into libav
today.  And, my hope is that it will be merged into ffmpeg--that is, it
seemed like the most readily available path to getting this code into
ffmpeg was to contribute it to libav first.  But, if this patch has to
pass yet another round of code reviews, code reviews that weren't
forthcoming in the first place on ffmpeg-devel when I originally
submitted the patch, then that could be problematic.

Aaron Levinson