[FFmpeg-devel] [mov] Fix trampling of ctts during seeks when sidx support is enabled.

Dale Curtis dalecurtis at chromium.org
Tue Jul 25 00:32:41 EEST 2017

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 5:00 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc
> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 07:30:01PM -0700, Dale Curtis wrote:
> > Thanks will take a look. Is this test not part of fate? make fate passed
>
> no, we should have tests for all (fixed) tickets in fate ideally
> but in reality most tickets lack a corresponding test
> I tried both in outreachy and as well in GSoC to improve this situation
> with student projects but both only moved this forward by a small
> step. Its a large amount of work to create robust, portable and
> practical tests for "all" tickets and everything else.
> The way out to get this actually done would be to pay a developer to
> create tests for "all" tickets in fate. I belive carl would be the
> ideal one to do this work as he has since a very long time always tested
> and kept track of all our tickets.
> I did suggest a while ago to someone at google that funding such
> project would make sense but IIRC i never heared back.
> if some company would fund something like this, i belive this would be
> very usefull in the long run for code quality

I think it'd be pretty hard to get someone to go through and create tests
for every issue ever seen. Even Chromium has trouble with this, but making
it part of the culture helps. I.e. reviewers should ask for every change to
include a test. I'm happy to add one to fate for this change. Or can do so
in a followup patch if you prefer.

Does anyone have comments on this change specifically? We've already rolled
this into Chrome and it's working fine and passing all regression tests.