[FFmpeg-devel] On in-tree external headers

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Sun Nov 5 22:40:52 EET 2017

>>> How about:
>>>
>>> "No external headers may be added to the ffmpeg tree, unless they are for AviSynth or Nvidia."
>>
>> I don't think a strict "no external headers" rule makes sense or is a good idea at all. Specially if there are seemingly arbitrary exceptions.
>>
>> If such a rule is to be added at all, it should list the conditions under which external headers can be added. And it should clearly be an exception.
>
> Sounds good to me.  What should those conditions be?

For once, there should be a good reason to do so.

In case of nvidia the headers in this form is otherwise unobtainable,
and it's also partially modified specifically for use in ffmpeg.
Getting the original headers is also not straight forward as you need an
nvidia developer account, which you cannot just register for, but you
need to apply for.

I also feel like whatever this rule would look like, it's already
practiced that way. There isn't really a way not do decide this on a
case by case basis. Luckily it's not something that comes up every other
day.
If someone would submit random third party library headers to compat/
for no apparent reason other than comfort, it would certainly be rejected.