[FFmpeg-devel] RPM library deployments

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sun Nov 19 22:50:09 EET 2017

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 10:45:44 -0900, Lou Logan wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017, at 01:10 PM, Gardner, Greg - 0995 - MITLL wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > Could someone put me in touch with whoever builds the ffmpeg-libs RPM?
>
> It's not from us, a third-party makes that, but I'm not sure who. FFmpeg
> only provides source code.

Indeed, you really have to find out which distribution/repository
you're getting those packages from, and check for their packages.
(Under Fedora, that's mostly either rpmfusion or the fedora-multimedia
repo from negativo17.org.)

> > I noticed that it does not follow the common convention of
> > symlinking its *.so static object the appropriate version. Instead,
> > it simply deploys them with their full version numbers, which
> > messes with our builds (which look for just the *.so file, not
> > *.so.1.1 and so on)

No, that's quite correct. That's the way packaging works. The *.so
files (or rather symlinks) are in the -devel package.

Moritz