[FFmpeg-devel] AMD external header

Hendrik Leppkes h.leppkes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 10:43:08 EET 2017

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 4:00 AM, Mironov, Mikhail
<Mikhail.Mironov at amd.com> wrote:

> I also noticed that recently there is a lot of activity to add full Nvidia decoders  to FFmpeg (VC1, MPEG4, VP8, VP9 etc.).
> I am guessing this is to overcome DXVA or VAAPI shortcoming. What about AMD? We also have them.

DXVA2/D3D11VA work perfectly fine, on Windows i see no huge reason to
use NVDEC (and the same can probably be said for whatever AMD
solution) - and in fact from a user (and developer) perspective its
much nicer to just use the same hwaccel on all hardware. But Linux is
another matter. I don't know how well AMD works with VAAPI or VDPAU
(if at all), but at least for NVIDIA VDPAU has its issues and VAAPI is
not supported at all (except with a VAAPI VDPAU adapter, which  has
the same issues, obviously)

Until you guys actually provide Linux support, adding a HWAccel might
not be that advantageous for the user-base.

- Hendrik