[FFmpeg-devel] AMD external header

Timo Rothenpieler timo at rothenpieler.org
Mon Nov 27 19:25:47 EET 2017

Am 27.11.2017 um 03:15 schrieb Mironov, Mikhail:
> Hi,
> I would like to summarize thoughts on several threads on this forum related
> to the issue of including AMD/AMF header file into FFmpeg source tree.
> It looks like they reflect some policies formal or informal.
> Mark tried to create some policy regarding this issue but wasn't successful.
> I believe a policy is always created to reach some goal.
> So my summary will be in form of triad:
> policy->goal->possible action
> I will skip all arguments, you already read them.
>     policy: do not include external headers
>     goal: minimize maintenance efforts and increase stability of the project
>     action: remove NVidia headers
>     policy: keep certain headers in the tree based on some criteria
>     goal: provide certain level of convenience for ordinary users
>     action: include AMD header
>    policy: do whatever is needed to achieve the goal
>    goal: achieve neutrality in relation to HW vendors
>    action: remove NVidia headers or add AMD header
>
> Since these policies contradict each other, some priorities should be set
> and I don't know how to do it. Personally I like #2 the most, but this is not my call.
> But my point is that by keeping NVidia headers in the tree and not allowing AMD header,
> FFmpeg development team breaks all three policies and do not achieve any goal.
> If this is what you want maybe you should state this explicitly on the "About" page
> as Mark suggested:
> "No external headers may be added to the ffmpeg tree, unless they are for AviSynth or Nvidia"
> At least it will be clear for all users and developers.
> You may say that you will include only headers hard to get. But does it mean that AMD must
> obscure access to the headers to be included? I hope not.

I also want to mention, while I prefer to include the header, if the
final decision is to get rid of them(which imo is the only viable other
option), I will not fight that.

In that case I would move the nvidia headers to a repository on
github.com/FFmpeg, if that's ok with everyone, to keep them in a
somewhat ffmpeg-official state.