[FFmpeg-devel] AMD external header

Compn tempn at mi.rr.com
Wed Nov 29 17:23:54 EET 2017

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 15:58:29 +0100, wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 16:09:57 +0000
> "Mironov, Mikhail" <Mikhail.Mironov at amd.com> wrote:
> >
> > I wanted to stay out of license issues and this forum is oriented more towards
> > technical discussion but I can't resist putting my two cents: Yes, HW manufactures
> >  live out of HW sell. And yes, integration with products like ffmpeg should benefit them (us).
> > But they(us) do not sell software. The enablement of HW acceleration adds features to ffmpeg project.
> > And we do it ourselves. We also intend to contribute more. So it is mutually beneficial.  Isn't it?
>
> Well, don't worry too much.

as an mplayer user who had to go looking to find a bunch of sdk headers
and hope that the instructions written 2 years ago still point to a
working URL, i feel a lot of pain in this thread.

svn has svn externals, where a svn checkout would pull from other svn
repositories.

i am assuming git has the same thing? if so these headers could go in
an external repo, but a ffmpeg git pull would pull them down? are there
any objections to that ?

that would cut down on our objections and maintainership and git
history concerns... i think? so long as its easy for non amd users to
flip a config switch to disable pulling those amd headers down.

-compn