[FFmpeg-devel] Gif from transparent video

Bjorn Roche bjorn at xowave.com
Wed Sep 20 18:57:46 EEST 2017

Hey all!

I’m working on this: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4443, which relates to
creating a GIF from an image with transparency support. I have modified
paletteuse, so that I can generate a transparent gif just fine — but only a
single frame. Multiple frames cause problems with the gif encoding’s
optimizations, so I can’t successfully create an animated gif with
transparencies.

I am pretty familiar with the Gif format, but I’m confused about how FFmpeg
handles incoming transparencies. Does anyone know if libavcodec/gif.c is
even designed to handle this situation?I guess what I'm looking for is a
hint (if anyone has one) about if this is an issue with writing gifs, or if
I've still got something wrong in my palettes modifications, or something
else.

Thanks,

bjorn