[FFmpeg-devel] Create .lib static libraries on Windows instead of .a libraries (using MSVC compiler)

Anonymous Maarten anonymous.maarten at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 21:23:53 EEST 2017

>>* Hey,
*>>>>* Building the static ffmpeg library using vcpkg is currently
broken [1][2].
*>>* This is mainly due to the fact that the built static libraries are .a files
*>>* with lib prefixes.
*>>>>* The attached patch sets the lib prefix to "" and the lib suffix
to ".lib".
*>>>>* Tested by building ffmpeg using vcpkg and Visual Studio 2017 Community
*>>* Edition on Windows 10.
*>>* The resu*lted libraries link correctly to my application.

> Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> Did this work with older versions of any of the involved tools
(including FFmpeg)?

3.3.3 is the first version I have tried to build using vcpkg. [1]
I guess 'no' is the answer to your question.

> Hendrik Leppkes:
> This would break the workflow for everyone that is currently working with the current names, however.

I would be equally happy if there would be a way (using configure
arguments?) to set these two parameters.

[1] https://github.com/Microsoft/vcpkg/blob/084b1afe9af1690916fab95bbb80c6891109f0fc/ports/ffmpeg/CONTROL

Thanks.