[FFmpeg-devel] Register for VDD 2018 conference

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Aug 23 11:48:19 EEST 2018

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 03:24:05PM -0500, Dave Rice wrote:

> >> On Aug 22, 2018, at 14:12, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 03:14:53PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> >> Hello fellow devs,
> >>
> >> VideoLAN is happy to invite you to the usual conference of the end of the summer:
> >> VDD2018 is happening in Paris, for the 10 years of the original conf.
> >>
> >> As usual, this is a very technical conference focused on open source multimedia development.
> >> We will talk about AV1, FFv1, FFv2, x264/x265, VLC, FFmpeg and other related technologies.
> >
> > what is FFv2 ?
>
> FFV2 is referenced in this patch http://akuvian.org/src/x264/ffv2.94.diff.
>
> Also FFV2 is referenced as a derivative experimental work from Daala. https://twitter.com/atomnuker/status/924846477083578368?s=21
>
> Also FFV2 is referenced by Reto Kromer as a forked alternative to the work on FFV1 version 4 by the IETF cellar working group. https://twitter.com/retokromer/status/884030201050648576?s=21

I think future work should be done as FFV1v5 v6 v7 on CELLAR/IETF
why you ask ?
because that way
its on its way to be a proper IETF standard from day 1
there are already people who are interrested in this there, like myself
and IIRC reto, and iam sure there are many more who would like to see
more discussions about improving and extending the codecs in more fundamental
ways.
also, you get more comments and testing on IETF/CELLAR
and for work beyond ffv1v3/4 to be successfull a critical mass of people / time
is needed. If everyone works seperate, which it seems a bit to me thats what
is happening, it would be harder to move such an effort to completion

thx

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
then the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.