[FFmpeg-devel] Using FFmpeg as standalone EXE in commercial product.

Cody Herzog codyherzog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 18:47:35 EET 2018

Hello.

I'm working on a closed-source commercial product, and I would like
to deliver FFmpeg as a stand-alone EXE with my installer.

My program will call into FFmpeg using the Windows CreateProcess()
API, and will stream to it through standard input.

I have made a minimal build of FFmpeg which excludes GPL components,
and also excludes all codecs. I'm only using some file muxing
capabilities.

Because I am not linking with FFmpeg, I'm curious as to what
requirements, if any, must be met in terms of the LGPL license.

I found the following thread, which already includes some good
information:

https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2009-May/075528.html

Beyond what's covered in that thread, I'm curious whether the entire
licensing checklist on the following page still applies to my
scenario?

http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html

>From the perspective of active FFmpeg developers, which of those
items should be handled in my use case?