[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] VDD FFmpeg session and community survey

Tomas Härdin tjoppen at acc.umu.se
Sat Nov 24 17:32:22 EET 2018

tor 2018-11-22 klockan 21:58 +0000 skrev Rostislav Pehlivanov:
> > On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 at 19:02, Thilo Borgmann <thilo.borgmann at mail.de> wrote:
> +The vote has to implement a direct, free, equal and secret election.
> > +The results are to be publicly available.
> > +The election should be completed not later than the end of the ongoing period.
> > +Any community member can call on itself or any other person to be a candidate for an election.
>
> What if a majority of the committee is biased and bans everyone they
> disagree with to take over the project? They certainly could.
> What if the committee's decision is something the majority of the
> developers disagree with?
>
> This is why I'm against formalizing such prodecures. They're too inflexible
> and absolute, and end up being abused or overused (like videolan's weekly
> temporary bannings I've heard of).
> Furthermore why do you bring this up now at all? We haven't had accidents
> of this nature in quite some time. In fact the last time it was the ML
> admin's random incorrect decision to block a discussion which ended up
> being a problem that everyone disagreed with. And that was 11 months ago.

The point of stuff like this is to have something in place *before*
nasty things happen. Coming from a country with a strong non-profit
organization culture (Sweden), it's actually quite striking how little
"everyday democracy" experience a lot of free software people seem to
have.

While I'm in here I have a small suggestion: talking is better than
writing when it comes to interpersonal conflicts. Using Mumble or
Jingle or whatever and getting the relevant people to talk can be a
good way to avoid more drastic measures. Unless of course someone's
just being an ass to be an ass, but I haven't noticed that yet on here.

/Tomas