[FFmpeg-devel] configure: Fix decklink license dependency

Marvin Scholz epirat07 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 22:33:14 EET 2019

On 28 Jan 2019, at 21:09, Elliott Balsley wrote:

> I see this old thread about Decklink licensing, and I disagree with
> the nonfree requirement.
> I can’t figure out how to reply to the old thread, but here it is
> for reference: https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/patch/3230/
> <https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/patch/3230/>
> Downloading the SDK from Blackmagic uses a EULA which prevents
> distribution, but each individual header file contains a more
> permissive Boost license.  So apparently, the only part of the SDK
> covered by the restrictive EULA is the PDF documentation.  This means
> the headers could even be included in the ffmpeg GitHub if you desire.
>
> I emailed Blackmagic to clarify this, and here is their response:
> There is no fee to use the DeckLink SDK. Access to the DeckLink SDK is
> governed by the EULA and is only available from the Blackmagic Design
> website. Applications that are built with the SDK are then licensed
> via the more permissive license contained within the SDK.
>
> It is Blackmagic Design policy that there should only be one publicly
> available source for the SDK (i.e. the Blackmagic Design website) and
> in order to download the SDK the EULA must be agreed to.
>
> In addition, distribution of the SDK is prohibited as per the EULA

This is in conflicts with the license of individual header files in the
SDK, so does it mean
that the header files with the more permissive license overrule the
EULA?
It would be great to have Blackmagic clarify this.

It is very confusing to prohibit people from distributing files with the
EULA while stating
in some of these files that distributing them is fine... So while
according to the license
in the files distributing them would be fine, you would violate the EULA
by doing so.