[FFmpeg-devel] Project orientation

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Sun Jul 5 22:10:45 EEST 2020

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020, Kieran Kunhya wrote:

>>> People aren't using it because people don't use MPEG-2.
>> > There is no maintenance to be done on a format that's 25 years old, do
>> > you want me to randomly change cosmetics to make you feel happy?
>>
>> If you'd get off your high horse for once, that would make me feel happy.
>
> Please let me know what "maintenance" you'd like me to do on x262?

I don't want you to do anything. But for example some code changes need to
be merged back from x264 if somebody wants to make x262 compile using the
latest ffmpeg.

>> I don't think I told anybody to implement the missing features for free.
>> But I do believe that payed or free development has a higher chance of
>> happening if existing code is already available in a popular
>> package/project. And yes, I believe that some "maintenance burden" should
>> be accepted by the base project to give more chance to further
>> advancement, payed or free.
>
> It's not your pejorative to say that x264 developers have to accept
> and maintain a merge back of x262.

I am not saying they have to. I am saying that x262 would have benefited
from it and the maintenance burden as I estimate it would not have been
unsurmountable for x264.

> Also this is quite complex now owing the combined 8/10-bit single
> binary. Furthermore any change to H.264 they would now have to test
> and maintain for MPEG-2.
> You seem to imply that this work is quite simple which is easy for you
> to say when you are the one not doing it.

I honestly don't know how much work it is. I assumed it is not too much,
especially if somebody is familiar with the codebase. Now that the trees
have diverged, obviously it has become harder. But dealing with the
changes is usually easier if the feature is in-tree already.

> Do you plan to do this work?

I don't know enough about x262/x264 to do this with reasonable amount of
work. Do you think there is a chance of this happening if I post a bounty
or get a sponsorship?

Regards,
Marton