[FFmpeg-devel] WHIP - Webrtc Http Ingest Protocol

Sergio Garcia Murillo sergio.garcia.murillo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 13:31:42 EEST 2020

Hi all!

WebRTC can be an intimidating monster, and we all are aware of that.
Also, the fact that every webrtc media server/service has their own
custom protocol has not helped to increase its adoption in the streaming
world, with still relies heavily on other protocols like RTMP, SRTP or
even RTSP for ingesting content.

In order to try to broaden the adoption of WebRTC in the streaming
world, and make it available in OSS tools like ffmpeg, gstreamer and
OBS, we have created the Webrtc Http ingest protocol (WHIP), so the same
implementation works across several (hopefully most) webrtc services and
media servers.

The first draft is available here:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-murillo-whip-00

The latest editorial draft is in this gitup repo:

https://github.com/murillo128/webrtc-http-ingest-protocol

The feedback from the webrtc community has been very positive so far, as
this has been a recurring burden for years, so the adoption on that side
is very likely to happen. I have already implemented it on my media
server (https://github.com/medooze/media-server-node) and we will
disclose more information about how to test and interoperate with our
implementation during next week.

Myself and other webrtc devs are willing to collaborate in the
implementing this into ffmpeg, as it would be huge for the webrtc comunity

I would love to hear the feedback from you, the ffmpeg devs, to the
draft so we can improve it and make it easier to implement it in ffmpeg.
What do you think?

Best regards

Sergio