[FFmpeg-devel] MV-HEVC support for decoding of Apple's stereo video

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Sat Aug 17 11:57:19 EEST 2024

Quoting Danny Hong (2024-08-16 21:49:05)
> Quoting Anton Khirnov  (2024-08-16 09:32:28)
> > The way this will work is that different views will be output by decoder
> > as separate frames with side data indicating their view ID.
>
> Thanks for the info again!  Wouldn't it be easier for the user/consumer of
> the decoded frames to simply have the side data indicate "left" or "right"
> view?  If only view ID is indicated, then the VPS and the 3D reference
> displays information SEI have to be parsed again (by the user/consumer) to
> get the mapping between view ID and left/right eye, no?

View ID is the only information that is guaranteed to be present, as
it's encoded in the VPS, which is why I'm treating it as fundamental.
The decoder could also process and export SEI information when
available, you just cannot rely on it in general.

--
Anton Khirnov